If you are interested in being healthy/healthier and you start to do some research, you will find that there are currently two competing paradigms when it comes to health. One is a weight centered approach – the idea being that we can typically judge health based on weight and that health problems can be solved through weight loss. The Health-Centered approach says that health should be looked at separate from weight, and that health problems should be solved through health interventions.
Here are 11 reasons why I think a Health Centered paradigm makes more sense (I know the graphic says 10 but you know that I like to give you all a little something extra – and since I can’t make this blog scented I decided to give you an extra reason instead!):
1. It is observable
We know that there are healthy fat people an unhealthy thin people so weight=health does not hold up to simple observation.
2. Thin people get all the diseases that are correlated with fatness
And since thin people get all of these diseases, then being thin is neither a cure nor a preventative. Further, since we treat thin people for these diseases we have treatment protocols that do not involve weight loss. Those same protocols could be used on fat people who have these diseases – so that we are treating the actual disease and not just a body size.
3. Correlation does not equal causation
Just because a disease is correlated with obesity does not mean that it is caused by obesity. In some cases, sleep apnea for example, a condition is thought to cause obesity leading to a chicken and the egg problem. By focusing on the health problem instead of the weight we avoid this issue altogether.
4. Confirmation bias
We seek evidence that confirms our existing beliefs. For example doctors test obese people earlier and more often for diseases thought to be correlated with obesity, thin people who have the symptoms of diseases that are correlated with obesity are often ignored because the doctors assume that thin people are “safe” from these diseases. If you have two groups and you test one earlier and more often for a set of health problems, and subsequently ignore the symptoms of those health problems in the second group, of course the first group is likely to have a higher diagnosis rate.
5. Third Factor Issues
One of the reasons that correlation does not imply causation is because the two thing could both be caused by a third factor. It’s entirely possible that a third factor is responsible for both obesity and disease in which case weight loss attempts will do nothing to address the problem and may even exacerbate it.
6. The wrong measurements
When people set weight loss as a goal, they are typically assuming that along with that weight loss they’ll get a host of metabolic health benefits: good cholesterol, blood pressure, triglyceride and blood glucose numbers etc. So when, like 95% of people, they fail at weight loss they assume that they failed at all of the health outcomes as well. But studies show that this isn’t the case. Had they measured their metabolic health rather than their weight they are likely to have seen health increases, even though they would not be accompanied by weight loss.
7. Confusing the standard of beauty with health
As a culture we tend to have a single standard of beauty (which is a whole other problem). Unfortunately it is all too easy to assume that this single standard of beauty is also the single standard of health. That is simply not true.
8. Human diversity
We accept a huge amount of human diversity. Large variations in skin color, shapes and sizes of feet, hands, and noses, heights, hair colors and textures etc. are all considered normal. And yet we expect healthy bodies to conform to a narrow height weight ratio or we consider them “abnormal” or “unhealthy”
9. The dieting effect
In studies dieting (particularly dieting young and/or repeatedly) predicts weight gain and obesity. It makes sense then that as we have continued to diet younger and more often we see larger bodies. The solution is unlikely to be more dieting.
10. The Unlikelihood of Weight Loss
In studies since 1959 weight loss has shown a success rate of only 5%. Doctors are prescribing a solution that only works 5% of the time to 60% of Americans. The diet industry makes 60 Billion dollars a year taking credit for their successes, and blaming their clients for their failures. Would you use birth control with a 5% chance of success? Would you be okay with the company (and the world) blaming you if you were one of the 95% who got pregnant?
11. The likelihood of increased health
We know that health is multi-dimensional, not an obligation or a barometer of worthiness, and not entirely within our control. That said, studies show that most people will get a health benefit from participating in healthy behaviors (healthy eating and movement). Studies also show that most of these people will not experience significant long term weight loss. But, again, they will give themselves the best odds to support their health.
So there you go, 11 reasons why focusing on your health and not your weight makes the most sense if you want to be healthier.
Like this blog? Here’s more cool stuff:
Like my work? Want to help me keep doing it? Become a Member! For ten bucks a month you can support size diversity activism, help keep the blog ad free, and get deals from size positive businesses as a thank you. Click here for details
Book and Dance Class Sale! I’m on a journey to complete an IRONMAN triathlon, and I’m having a sale on all my books, DVDs, and digital downloads to help pay for it. You get books and dance classes, I get spandex clothes and bike parts. Everybody wins! If you want, you can check it out here!
I’m training for an IRONMAN! You can follow my journey at www.IronFat.com