August 19th, 5:30pm Pacific
Dealing With Fatphobia At The Doctor’s Office
In this workshop we’ll discuss tips, tricks, and techniques for getting competent, evidence-based, weight-neutral (and sometimes even fat-positive!) care from doctors and other healthcare practitioners, even in a fatphobic healthcare system
Topics will include:
- Finding a fat-friendly healthcare practitioner
- Options for handling the weigh-in
- Asking for accommodations
- What to do when a healthcare professional “prescribes” weight loss
- Getting diagnostic tests (CT Scan, MRI etc.) when the machine isn’t built to accommodate fat bodies
- Dealing with surgery denials (including joint replacement surgeries)
- Strategies to discuss research about weight and health with your provider
- Strategies for when a fatphobic practitioner is the only option
Plus an unlimited Q&A (I stay until there are no more questions) so that you can get your specific questions answered
A recording of the talk with closed captions will be provided to all participants after the event.
If you can’t make it to the live event but wish to receive the recording, just register normally below.
Within 24 hours of payment, you’ll receive the link and password to participate in the workshop. You can participate online with or without video (there will also be a chat option to type your questions) or by phone!
Pay with Paypal
Pay with Venmo: @Ragen-Chastain (please make sure to include your e-mail address)
- Joyful Movement In A Fat Body
- Size Acceptance in Eating Disorder Community
- Dealing With Fatphobia At The Holidays
If you have a topic to suggest, e-mail me at ragen at danceswithfat dot org
Missed a Workshop? You Can Still Purchase A Video of the Talk
Talking Back To Fatphobia
Options for dealing with the fatphobia we face as we navigate the world – from responses that encourage dialog, to responses that encourage people to leave us TF alone.
- Family and friends
- Doctors and healthcare providers
- Random fatphobes we meet online and in-person
Send payment to @Ragen-Chastain (please include your e-mail and that you want to order the Talking Back to Fatphobia video.)